Medicines Management Prescribing Decision Support Systems 2
Potential saving opportunities 24%
Framework Agreement Description
The Medicines Management Prescribing Decision Support System 2 Framework Agreement provides a compliant route for GPs and practice pharmacists to access a computerised system which increases the effectiveness, safety and cost effectiveness of prescribing medicines. The support system provides clear and concise suggestions of more effective, safer or cost effective medicines early in the process, when a prescriber has begun to prescribe a medicine that is deemed likely to be a suboptimal choice. The prescribing decision support system takes into account relevant national guidance. This decision support tool for medicines management is available as a complete off the shelf package.
We're pleased to announce that all customers now have longer to procure via our Medicines Management Prescribing Decision Support Systems 2 Framework Agreement (9389) which will now run until 31 March 2024.
Download the Framework Flyer
Framework Agreement Information
When does the framework agreement start?
01 October 2019 - 31 March 2024
What is the aim of the framework agreement?
To provide a computerised solution for healthcare professionals which reduces the occurance of preventable medication errors.
Who can take advantage of the framework agreement?
All NHS and Public Sector Authorities
What are the benefits of using the framework agreement?
• DIRECT AWARD
NHS Organisations are able to direct award via this framework agreement.
• OJEU AVOIDANCE
A compliant procurement exercise has been undertaken to ensure that the framework suppliers meet all key standards and requirements, saving valuable time and resources.
• SPECIALIST LED
A rigorous and robust selection process has been led by specialist clinical leads. The evaluation panel comprised of members of the CCG collaborative Medicines Management Team, clinical IT leads & prescribing and pharmaceutical specialists.
Providers are required to provide a robust support system that fully integrates with TPP SystmOne and EMIS Web, or equivalent.
• VALUE FOR MONEY
Secured value for money for the NHS with controlled maximum prices. Additional savings can be made through efficient and more cost effective prescribing.
• IMPROVED QUALITY OF OUTPUT
Aims to enhance accuracy, visibility and consistency for healthcare professionals when prescribing, dispensing or administering medication. Supports medicines optimisation and management teams in reducing the occurance of preventable medication errors in their CCG.
• COST EFFICIENCY
Supports better and more cost-effective prescribing in primary care. The Kings Fund estimates that standardisation of prescribing practices for certain treatments (e.g. low cost statins) could save the NHS more than £200 million per year (2007, NAO).
Detailed Service Offering
- Computerised support to increase the effectiveness, safety and cost effectiveness of prescribing and that works well with TPP SystmOne, EMIS Web or equivalent.
- Available as a complete off the shelf package system (COTS) with minimal customisation except for the loading of profiles and associated adjustments.
- Provides clear and concise suggestions of more effective, safer or cost effective medicines early in the process when a prescriber has begun to prescribe a medicine that is deemed likely to be a suboptimal choice, taking into account relevant national guidance.
- Enables prescribers to switch easily to the suggested medicine, at an appropriate dose and frequency if the switch suggestion is accepted
- Enables efficient management of the profile of switch suggestions and messages displayed, adding and deleting suggestions and messages, deciding whether to switch specific suggestions on or off, and refining the content of messages the system displays to prescribers.
- Allows the switch profile to be updated centrally and remotely for all user practices (i.e. visits to practices not required).
- Generates Reports to include:
- Net savings or increases of prescribing expenditure
- Acceptance and rejection rates for individual switch suggestions and for the aggregated total of switch suggestions
- Rates of prescribing for formulary and non-formulary medicines
- Reasons for prescribers' rejection of individual switch suggestions where recorded
- Training for the use of the available functionality in Medicines Optimisation available for medicines management teams
- Customer support desk
- Any other innovative elements
Contact the Digital & IT Procurement Solutions Team
Sign-up to hear from the Digital & IT Procurement Solutions Team
Which suppliers are on the medicines management framework?